March 31, 2011
For many people, mornings mean rushing to get out the door, pausing only long enough to grab a cup of coffee.
But according to Ayurvedic medicine, yoga’s sister science, developing morning rituals that foster self-care may be the most responsible thing you can do for your health. In fact, the actions you take upon rising will set the tone for the rest of your day.
Try adopting one or more of the following Ayurvedic exercises into your waking routine:
- Wake an hour before sunrise to benefit from the special vata energy that permeates the atmosphere.
- Upon waking, drink a tall glass of lukewarm water with fresh lemon, to gently rouse your digestion.
- Splash your face and eyes with cool water to disperse heat, or pitta energy, that builds at night.
- Use a tongue scraper to remove toxins and to awaken the digestive fire.
- Give yourself a gentle ear massage to awaken meridian points all along the ear.